View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
spitfire_er

My 55 GMC Blue Chip

I thought I better start a thread on this thing.

I bought this truck last fall and it has sat in my garage all winter. I finally got started on it about a month ago. The plan is to try and get this thing moving in the next month or so. I don't think I'll be doing any major body work on this thing for a few years, but the drive line should be all re-done or rebuilt by the end of the summer.

A little back story on this truck. Back about two years ago my wife and I were looking to get into a classic truck for not a bunch of money, something we could fix up. My wife loved the look of the 47-53 chevys so we looked long and hard for about a year for a 5 window fixer upper. We finally located one got it home and I started working on it. Got a good 235, T5 and had the frame just about done and ready to throw the engine/tranny in when we decided to change directions. The guy we got the 5 window from had an old 55-56 GMC 100 sitting in the dirt at his place. A couple trees were growing around it and the front end was down to the bumper. My wife always thought that was a cooler truck, but to me it looked like more work!

I then found a buyer for the gmc, and ended up buying it and was getting it ready to get sent out to California for the buyer I had lined up. After getting it home and looking it over and realizing what exactly it was, we both decided to keep the GMC and sell the partially finished 49' 5 window.

I proceeded to sell the 49' and started planning the 55' out. As I said before, it sat all this past winter and just a month ago I started really working on it.

Two big issues I had to deal with. My engine the original 288 v8 (Pontiac 287) was seized. Hoping for the best, I tried to break it loose over about a month. Then I just gave up and started tearing the eingine apart. That's when the bad news hit.
Attached Images

spitfire_er is offline   Reply With Quote