View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #41
slikside

Re: Quadrajet Hesitation When Accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwolfe View Post
That makes me feel better. I really don't know much about carbs in general, except having taken apart small carbs off lawnmowers and stuff like that. I plan to take it really slow, and make sure I've got a nice clean place to work with lots of room so I don't lose any parts.

I work on computers as a side job, and started tinkering with them when I was about 8 years old. Especially from working on laptops, I've gotten pretty good at keeping track of really small parts and screws and remembering were everything goes, so hopefully that experience will help me with rebuilding this carb. We'll see...

What do you recommend for cleaning the parts? Carb cleaner? Parts washer?
I'm sure it will help, there are a lot of parts, but as you personally pull it apart, it will all make much more sense. The other thing I did though, was I took a lot of up close pictures with a digital camara as it was coming apart. I had a nice gallary of photos to refer to when I put it all back together....in addition to what's in the book.

I will back up 68gmsee on the smell of the one gallon dip can....It does stink, but if you just leave stuff sit overnight, it all falls away pretty good. Some compressed air and passages are cleared asap. One big limitation of the gallon can though, the full body of the carb will not fit in it. I had to buy a heavy foil/aluminum high walled pan, and put the body in that.

Another thing I will say that you will find in the book is that not all rochester q-jets were created equal. The earlier ones were not all that great. Later is better. My truck ('72) had a julian date on the carb from '76. I had always thought mine was original (I'm 3rd owner), but it wasn't, and that's a good thing. So, when you get the book, check the carb you bought at your buddies garage sale, and compare. Every carb will be better when it's rebuilt, but the later ones will be better still.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for ya.

edit: Oh yeah, the one thing I had Cliff do for me was the primary shaft bushing. I really did not want to screw that up and have to go get/find a new base plate. Everything else I did myself with his parts/kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
I use carb cleaner for cleaning and if you are able to locate someone that plays guitar, the thin E or B strings are good for cleaning out the small holes inside the carb. While they're not looking snip one off and then run!

Don't buy chem dip one gallon can for soaking unless you live way out in the country. It stinks! Wife asked me to please remove it from the garage and luckily I have some land out in the country.

Working on computers, especially laptops does help. You should have most of the tools that you will need.