View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
docstheman

Post Build Thread - 1971 4x4 Ochre Blazer

Intro: I have been looking for a 1st Gen Blazer for about a year and seriously shopping for about 6 months before finding the one for me. Purchased this Blazer a couple months ago through Craigslist in Dallas after stalking ebay and craigslist for what seemed like an eternity. I am on a tight budget, but I want to do it the right way. I am a bargain shopper though. After all the reading I have done on this forum, I know a lot of you have that in common with me. Thanks to everyone for all the awesome posts and threads that have really helped me get the confidence to get started.

About Me: I live in Whitehouse, TX which is a suburb if you will of Tyler TX. Work a couple jobs, have 4 dogs, a swimming pool and love to ride my motorcycle, go camping, hiking, geocaching. I make my own mead/wineand I have a 1976 Corvette Stingray that I have had for over 10 years and will be tinkering with as well. This is a fun way to say I have a lot going on, but I have the Blaze as a priority. I've wanted one since a kid. I have worked on some things and pulled some dents and I restored my Stingray about 10 years ago, but I am not really a mechanic or a body man. This is a big project and I am looking forward to learning a lot.

About the Blaze: 1971 Blazer 4X4 Ochre bought in Dallas Texas. Original rims, bucket seats, A/C (I need a compressor and some other goodies). Rear tailgate mount spare (I just like the way they look), original 350 engine (I think anyway. I need some help on how to determine this)

The Good: Seems to be pretty tight and the Engine starts as soon as you touch the ignition. Sounds good and I have driven it around a little bit. It came with a bunch of goodies: Super Awesome Rhino-lined Gas Tank with skid plate, a suburban gas tank (not sure what to do with it), a brand new mechanical fuel pump which they installed, Brand new windshield (haven't picked up from the seller yet), Long wheel base side body panel, wheel well and bed floor from a c-10 ( haven't picked up from the seller yet), a glove box insert- I can't believe they are cardboard, an HEI, LH and RH rocker panels, front floor supports, LH and RH floor boards, a gallon of ochre paint and the stuff to mix it with etc (I don't know much about paint) and last but not least - a crawfish sane. IDK why it was in there, but it is mine now

The Bad:
Rust in all the usual places, dented split rear passenger panel, No top, seats need new foam and covers, no back seat, smokes just a bit when you first crank it (I hear that is pretty common), Needs: Battery, A/C Compressor, headers,

Recently Purchased
: a top (Needs a rear hatch, but I have the hinges), a 4" suspension lift, a set of 4 chrome 20's with 35" tires - (I really hope they fit) and an aluminum intake.

The Build: Rust Repair, Install the gas tank, install the lift and wheels Freshen the Engine (New seals and gaskets, heads resurfaced, aluminum intake, HEI and headers) original ochre paint (Maybe with ghost flames or wide blue racing stripes), Lift, Aftermarket rims and tires, bikini top and a restored hard top for the winter, reupholstered buckets in the front and a rear bench seat, working A/C, replace windshield.

Possible Adds: custom front and rear bumper with tow hooks and maybe a winch, modified roll bar with flip up lights, upgrade the rear end gears, maybe some doors made from tubing.

Where I am at now: I need to get someone to help me put the top on so that I can finish the rust repair and see if the lift will keep the rearend from sagging from the weight of the top. I need to install the lift and re-install/finish installing the gas tank. Right now it is hanging but it isn't as secure as I would like and the skid plate is not installed. After the lift is installed I need to see if the rims will fit. The rims I have are Incubus Recoil 20x10 with 35X12.5R20 cooper discoverers.

Are there any 1st Gen Blazer Owners near Tyler? I only know of one that is in town and they never drive it. I have seen some posts from Dallas and Shreveport.
Attached Images

Last edited by docstheman; 07-02-2013 at 04:39 PM.
docstheman is offline   Reply With Quote