View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #44
capev86

Re: Quadrajet Hesitation When Accelerating

Quote:
I personally would swap the intake out. Looks like you have a single plane intake which is great for racing and higher rpms. But a dual plane intake is better at lower rpms and better for street use. I have a Qjet on an Eldelbrook dual plane intake and have no issues.
that is not the kind of intake i would want to see on a truck, unless it is a stripped down, drag race only vehicle with a big bad engine tuned specifically for high rpm operation.

i did a similar swap on my 72 Suburban C20. i didn't care for the faulty 2bbl on the original 307, so i pulled it in favor of a Q-jet swap. i found a good deal locally on an a still in the box Edelbrock performer manifold that is designed to fit up to both square bore and spread bore carbs. this manifold is a low profile, dual plane unit that augments power in the idle-5500rpm range. it perfectly compliments the low end throttle response and top end punch the Q-jet is famous for on the street.

at the same time i swapped the rear gears from 4.57 to 4.10. the truck is soooo much more responsive and fuel economy has gone from 10/11 to 14/15. 2 out of the last 3 tank fulls have averaged 16mpg...and that is without overdrive! oh...and during idle the vacuum is over 20....according to my in dash reproduction vac gauge.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote