View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #45
jbwolfe

Re: Quadrajet Hesitation When Accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72CampSpecial View Post
Recently rebuilt/tuned my '75 Cali emissions carb..

-Cliff Rugles Book.. a must
-Cliff Rugles forum for Questions.. a must
-No one has mentioned adjusting the APT (or i missed it).. mine was way off after the re-build (this one requires a very easy carb modification, but worth it)
-Other things to consider.. Timing, Adjusting the Idle mixture screws, adjusting your idle and the APT made all the difference for me..

My truck was sluggish and ran like crap until i started dialing all those in..after many, many adjustments its running great now.
I'll check out that forum. What is the APT? I'd image all that is covered in the book...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capev86 View Post
that is not the kind of intake i would want to see on a truck, unless it is a stripped down, drag race only vehicle with a big bad engine tuned specifically for high rpm operation.

i did a similar swap on my 72 Suburban C20. i didn't care for the faulty 2bbl on the original 307, so i pulled it in favor of a Q-jet swap. i found a good deal locally on an a still in the box Edelbrock performer manifold that is designed to fit up to both square bore and spread bore carbs. this manifold is a low profile, dual plane unit that augments power in the idle-5500rpm range. it perfectly compliments the low end throttle response and top end punch the Q-jet is famous for on the street.

at the same time i swapped the rear gears from 4.57 to 4.10. the truck is soooo much more responsive and fuel economy has gone from 10/11 to 14/15. 2 out of the last 3 tank fulls have averaged 16mpg...and that is without overdrive! oh...and during idle the vacuum is over 20....according to my in dash reproduction vac gauge.
Not to worry, the intake I put on the 350 is a DUAL plane Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap, and it is also designed for the idle-5500RPM range.

Sounds like your swap turned out great! Hope I can get close to those results with mine. I'd just be thrilled out of my mind if it ran well.
1985 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo Diesel - People transporter
1985 Ford F-150 4x4 300 IL6 4 speed - 4x4 parts donor for '81
jbwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote