View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #122
wraprail

Re: 1970 project/ DD "instant death"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewchief22 View Post
Lovin' the build. Not a fan of the copper tubing. I highly recommend using steel tubing or DOT plastic air lines.

Keep the updates coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegadesign View Post
Thank you
And it's something different
Dot fittings are mainly rated for big rigs otherwise its just a name basically
The copper is plenty strong for this application
The only dot hardware I have are the 1/4" lines ran from front to rear and thats to the gauges in the cab.
There's not enough going on to need brass fittings

I get most of my air line fittings a grainger and pay like $2-3 a piece
Never had a leak and they work great, even the cheap plastic check valve from the has worked for 2 years

My main reason for the copper tho is that you don't really see it to often.
The metal is just soft enough for push to connect fittings to work also
Posted via Mobile Device
There is a reason you don't see copper tubing used in automotive. It isn't rated for use in automotive applications. It cracks when subjected to vibration. Its great for running a water line to an ice maker in your HOUSE! Granger sells products for commercial and residential applications, not automotive. DOT stands for Department of Transportation. Not Department of Big Rigs. Besides all that, the biggest reason not to use copper lines like you plan to is pressure. Typical air system used on these trucks operate in the 80-150psi range which copper is not rated. Pressure cycles combined with vibration and it will fail. Maybe not tomorrow or next week. But it will fail. Most likely at a connection point where it is poorley supported and vibration will cause a crack. Lets just hope it doesn't happen on the freeway at speed with other cars where you could kill sone inniocent person. And if it does happen and they find copper tubing (non DOT) tubing caused the deaths (and your insurance declines the claim cuz your truck didn't use approved,rated materials) you will end up in prison singing love songs to a guy named "Buba"
Don't end up in prison singing love songs to a guy named "Buba"
Use DOT approved hose and fittings in your Air System.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device