View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
Ackattack

Re: 97 Jeep TJ fixer upper

Last night I got the frame welded up. The upper bolts on the rear shock were siezed to the point I couldn't get them out. I also broke the lower bolt getting it out. So I just installed a bushing in the shock, and put that back together. I'll get the new shocks installed later. Got all of the wheels installed and took it for a test drive (at midnight).

Well things were a little better, but it still had a wierd movement, that felt like it was coming from the back end. When I got home I put it back up on jack stands and slid under it. I was thinking it was the rear track bar just the way it felt, and sure enough I found that the track bar was loose. Basically the bolt that mounts the track bar to the axle was loose. So this morning I went to fix it. The loose bolt allowed the track bar to move all around and wallowed out the track bar mount hole and the bolt was worn where it went through the bracket. I also had to cut this bolt off. I didn't fix the track bar bracket for now, but I installed a new bolt and got it all tightened down.

Then I went for a test drive. It's much better, but there is still an odd movement. This may be due to the lift on a short wheel base vehicle, or maybe the track bar is moving a little.

While driving around, one thing I've noticed that I hate, is this itty bitty steering wheel. It has to be around 12" diameter. I'm going to try to find something else. Maybe the stock wheel from my 69 C-20 I had will fit in it

I also have a bikini top to install, but that will have to wait.

I did note the speed/rpms and it looks like this still has the 3.73 gear in it. On 33 inch tires, it really seems OK power wise.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote