View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #199
gerfunken

Re: Scott's 1972 Chevy K-20. A place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
there are more than one ways to hook stuff up. the PATC write up is for a gas engine(thus the use of manifold vacuum) you can just run a toggle for the TCC and OD on the dash and switch them manually when you want either to happen. that would get old.

using the line pressure and a pressure switch is what the PATC write up is about. line pressure in the 47rh is determined by the governor speed therefore your vehicle speed. so a bigger tire will mean you reach 44 mph before you reach 44 psi in line pressure.

you can use the factory dodge ECM and hook it up as it was in the dodge and it will control your shifting in and out of OD as well as the TCC. it will also do your voltage regulation and time out on the grid heaters.

since you dont have a load based source of vacuum, if you eliminate the ECM and use the pressure on the govenor port witch switches, you will have to find a way to switch the TCC off, and OD off when you are under heavy throttle at speed. that would be done i think with the voltage comping out of the TPS, but im not sure how you would set that up. or you can use a micro switch(s) on the throttle linkage somewhere to break the circuit at a certain throttle input so it will kick out of lock up and or OD. im not sure how that would work, as i quit researching after i bailed on the auto.

i am sure Ryan or Nick may have better ideas as they have actually completed this swap before

Ryan
Ryan, thanks for the reply. Since my speedometer used to be 10% off because of the new tire size, I'm guessing that a 40psi adapter for a 44mph O/D shift. Likewise the 52psi should be about 47psi. I think I understand that now.

1972 Chevy K20
Picture Gallery
Build Thread

1930 Chevy AD
Picture Gallery

1929 Ford Model-A
Picture Gallery

1975 Triumph TR-6
Picture Gallery
gerfunken is offline   Reply With Quote