View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #1762
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Truck looks great! I'll be down that way end of the month for the Iowa Gas show I think. And working in Iowa Falls. Might have to run down your way and get a better look.
Sounds good. Just PM me and I will get you my cell number. Is the gas show the Gas Pump show at the Holiday Inn on Fleur Drive in Des Moines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerfunken View Post
Depending on the front end being used, there are some adjustments that may be able to be made on camber/caster. I remember that a number of fords used a bushing with the upper ball joint that allowed you to make some modifications. There are also some shims that you can use to help out for some of the GM components. But, as Ryan states, usually running about 1/16" toe-in will help with some of the wandering issues. You can also find some more information here:

Breaking it down:
Camber really helps with cornering.
Caster helps helps to recenter the wheels after a turn.
Toe-in helps with keeping the vehicle going straight down the road. (Conversely, toe-out really makes the vehicle drift/dart to the right/left as road surfaces change.)

For more information: LINK
Those alignment bushings are only on ball joint applications. The only way to add camber in a kingpin axle is to bend it. But the problem with that is once you bend it, it weakens the housing.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6BT 56 View Post
Thanks guy's that just the info i needed . Now if it wernt so dam hot then i could actually actually get under it and fix that ! For now I'll just keep driving with 2 hands and dont dare reach for the coffe when road surfaces change . Lol.
Most lift springs have a wedge bolted to it via the center pin and this will change the caster. Ryan is spot on on the 6*. I used to set big lifted trucks to 8 or 10* depending the terrain the truck would be driving on or how it drove. And on wider tires, 1/8" toe in helps.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote