View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #1775
ryanroo

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
the idea i had would use two frames
take both of the frames a part untill you left with the long pieces
cut about an inch off those lengthwize then use the leftside of one frame and weld it to the right side so you get a boxshape about the same width as the original frame
then i would prolly make some holes and wel in small pipes across the bolholes needed to be able to bolt anything to it
and make new crossmembers that will fit to the outside of that box

as long as the original frame goes straight back to front it could be done and it prolly keeps some of the original flex too
that would add a lot of extra material where it is not needed in the flanges of the frame rail. not to mention there are features on the right frame rail that are not there on the left and visa versa. the rails wouldnt match up. it also provides a nice place for dust and moisture to live and start the rust monster in between the flangse of the rails. for the grand total of probably 100 bucks in material i was able to box mine in front to back 100%. there is still a token amount of frame flex as it is pretty much impossible to remove it totally, especially when there is the weight of a cummins on it. but, there is 0 benefit to frame flex, so having less is a good thing.

it isnt necessary of course. the frame will hold a cummins just fine. under 98% of average driving situations for a truck being used normally, i.e. street and pulling trailers/hauling loads, a stock frame in good shape will perform just fine.

i chose to box mine, and did my best to goad ryan into boxing his because as i said, no frame flex is the best. it leads to a better handling better riding and all around better performing vehicle in any situation. toss in the fact that i am going to be in the neighborhood of 500HP and hopefully more one day, and ryan will be able to make 800ish with the amount of air he can move, and those numbers are both going to be around 1000ft/lbs and more, that is a lot of twisting power for the frame to deal with... especially if it is strapped to a sled or a heavy trailer.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote