View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 01:19 AM   #14
Ackattack

Re: 97 Jeep TJ fixer upper

The rear bumper is pretty much finished. Here it is mocked into position:

So this comes as a flat sheet that is cut along the fold lines, you fold it into shape and then weld it up. For the basic bumper shell you fold the two bends, then bend and weld on the end caps, then the D ring hangers, then the bumper mounts, then I opted for the reciever hitch, so I welded that in.

So after I got it all welded, then I cleaned up all of the corners and started spray painting it. I ran out of paint, so I didn't get the inside done.

I also had to work over the rear bumper mount/frame on the jeep. It seems as though someone either backed into something or got rearended and bent the area up. This might explain why there wasn't a factory bumper on it too. So I had to cut and weld on that as well.

As I mentioned earlier, this thing has a good coating of rust underneath. So the reciever that was on it required bracking off/cuting off several bolts to remove it. Additionally Jeep used nuts on the inside of the frame that have these little tabs to keep them from spinning (in theory). Well mine didn't work that way. In addition to the rear bumper, I also bought these corner reinforcing plate things. Normally these would bolt into the side of the frame where the reciever was bolted into. Well, no fancy nuts any more....what to do???? Think I'll just weld them to the frame.

So I have just a little more welding and more painting to do and I'll be done with the rear bumper. Then I can move on to the front
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote