View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #53
sparkydog

Re: Porsche 944: Actually there is a substitute

Based on these observations this is my hazy plan at this point.

(Keep in mind that whenever I mention the Mustang I am not wanting it's motor/tranny - that will be GM all the way.)

I like the Mustang for track width and engine bay shapes. I also like the Mustang rear axle setup and their reputation for being rugged. The GM/Camaro/Firebird axle just looks wimpy. Staying at a track width same/similar to the 944 gives me the most flexibility in wheels. I can always use spacers if I want to try a wheel with deeper back spacing on the Ford track width.

I like the GM F body for the LSmotor/tranny and I know that if I used the GM front suspension it would work in harmony with the motor's oil pan. However then I have to contend with the wider track width. This would lead to either body mods and/or funky choices on wheels and back spacing.

There are plenty of Mustangs running around with LSX conversions and there are aftermarket K member kits. I might not need to even go that way because I can always set the LS motor farther back than a stock Mustang would since I'm already going to chop up the Porsche firewall.

So at this point I'm leaning toward 2 donor vehicles. This is more expensive but what the heck. A late 90's Mustang for the front and rear suspension and a late 90's GM F body for the motor, tranny, brains, fuel system and vapor recovery.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote