View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #316
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Donz '65 SWB Stepper Budget Build...

For what it’s worth, I’ve been using Imageshack for six years. It’s very easy to use once the procedures are familiar. The only negative has been their “undocumented feature” of randomly dropping your photos, breaking your forum links. About every 6 months I would have to spend several days restoring all the missing photos.

About a month ago they dropped about 30% of my photos, which adds up to hundreds of pictures and broken links. They have an announcement on the website when you log in mentioning they’ve messed up the photos, and that they will all be restored soon. Weeks later nothing has been fixed.

I tried switching to Photobucket but met with some technical problem that wouldn’t let me access any of the links. in trying to resolve that problem I discovered that many long term Photobucket users are very unhappy with the site since a recent major renovation eliminated most of the preferred features. So I tried to see what is most popular right now.

Flickr seems to be most in demand at the moment. I signed up, and the links did work after figuring out how to navigate the site. A test post on my build thread worked, so I intend to completely rebuild at least my build thread and a few other technical threads using Flickr. I’m holding up for a few weeks however to see if Imageshack does restore any of the missing photos/links as promised. Having the images in place will save me days of research trying to identify which pictures are missing. If they still haven’t accomplished anything after another month, I’ll just do it the hard way.

I'm really sorry to be leaving Imageshack as it's been very simple to do exactly what I want, but most of these photo host sites are now trying to compete in the Facebook socializing world (which I have no interest in). This shift in priorities seems to be hurting the basic functionality of all of the legacy photo hosting sites.