View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #51
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: Dana 60 swap done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24s View Post
Hello DirtyLarry Im new here and tommorrow i am picking up a dana 60 king pin to put in my 1990 2500 burb. The guy that i am buying it from does not know the year. So my question is it need brakes and im going to napa but dont know what year the Dana is. What year and truck did they come from?
The only component difference between any years of D60F is the brake hose mounting bolt and the inner axle shafts. The early ones neck down to a smaller diameter in the middle of the shaft whereas the later ones stay a consistent larger diameter to where they neck down for the carrier splines. All of these parts are interchangeable though. You can put later inner shafts in an early axle and the caliper physical properties (save for the banjo bolt hole) remained the same throughout the run.

That being the case, provided you are not dealing with either of those components, you can pick pretty much any year from 1977-1991 for parts. I usually look them up for a 1986 because that was the last year of the square body C/K truck (K30). The square body lived on until 1991, but was classified as an R/V series (R being 2wd and V being the 4wd). In 1987 no C/K trucks were produced (only R/V) and in 1988 the C/K designation was given to the GMT400 platform. This can cause confusion to people (and computers) not familiar with specific years and designations of GM trucks. In 1986 there was only one choice--a K30 (keeps it real simple). This year had the larger inner shafts and metric banjo bolts (if you need standard thread banjo bolts, call it a 1978 and you'll get the standard ones). Your 1990 V2500 Suburban will have the 10MM banjo bolts on the brakes already, so if the axle you are getting is a later axle, you won't need to buy those. The 10mm 1.5 banjo bolts/holes *look* like 3/8-16 (NC) whereas the 7/16-20 are fine thread. You can check the holes with a regular bolt to determine exactly what you have.

If you need brake pads, the industry number for the pads is 149. So Bendix would be an MKD149 pad number or MKD149FM for the heavy duty pads that I run. Wagner would be an MX149. The only difference in the part number will be the prefix and/or the suffix of the part number. If someone tries to give you a pad set with the number 459 in it, they are the wrong pads. Those are the heavy 3/4 ton (8600 GVW) and one ton pads for the GMT400 platform trucks with IFS. They will not work on a D60F.

Also, there is a Bill Of Materials (BOM) number stamped somewhere on the passenger side axle tube. If you can still read the number you can check it against BOM numbers on the DANA site and possibly narrow down the vintage of the axle. Google Dana 60 BOM number and you should be able to find a list of BOM numbers to reference it to. Really the only thing you will glean from that is whether you have an early or late axle--and really, that's all that matters, but not much at that, because everything can interchange physically.

Last edited by mosesburb; 08-05-2013 at 11:40 PM.
mosesburb is offline   Reply With Quote