View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Dummy Light to Gauge dash swap chaos! Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
I understand what you are stating in terms of "factory correct". My truck is so far from that that its not even similar at this point. But what you stated is "cannot", and that is different from saying "its not factory correct".

My point was to have an ammeter that works in the cluster, which seems to be what I have with my highly modified system.

My battery gauge will read slightly left of the center line while cranking, and will stay there until the engine rpm's exceed 1400 and the alternator excites. Then it jumps all the way right and slowly comes back down to just slightly right of center. As I turn more stuff on, it moves further right, which in mind is showing that the alternator is increasing output, as it should. If it goes the other way, the draw is exceeding output, which would mean either the alternator can't keep up or is not working. I also have a voltmeter, but its only reading what it seems in the fuse block, which can drop quite a bit when things engage. I'm slowly adding in relays to keep that from happening.

FWIW, I have a lot of added electrical load with the AC system and the dual electric fans.
It sure seems to be working and I sure won't argue with success.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote