View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #9
Average Joe

Re: '71 Burb "Earl" suspension

Hey Ryan my combo so far is pretty basic and lo buck. 7/8 front sway bar with 20 yo bushings, new stock height springs front, original rear springs with half leaf factory overload, 15x8 6 lug rallys with 255/70/15 indy 500 firestones. im currently running a ez lift load leveling hitch with a single friction damper and class 3 receiver unknown brand modified to fit from an 86 burb. I also have cheap gas matic monroe shocks at all 4 corners. I think I definitely have room 4 improvement.
My winter plans call for a 2 inch block in the rear along with some air lift helper bags and possibly HD rear springs. Considering a rear sway bar as well. in the front I am going to cut a coil and replace the sway bar bushings.
I'm still debating weather to put in my 3.07 gear rear end or stick with the 3.73's. The concern i have with the 3.07's: I know they will improve my mileage when empty but may hurt mpg while towing in the mountains. The 454 makes gobs of torque but is also very thirsty.

I like your list of planned mods. Since you mentioned your concern about the tires I will give you my thoughts. I love my 15 inch rallys but I cannot find any D rated let alone E rated tires in 15 inch. I think if I were to spend the money on new rims I would consider a 16 inch or larger rim that I could find a load rated tire for. The only concern being when towing my 6k lb TT.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote