View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #1181
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
Keep pluggin away HG, you're gonna have issues but I'd say you're closer than you think, judging from the quality of your work.
Seems like most of your latest problems are from the parts you re-purposed without knowing if you could trust it?
Hang in there you'll get it worked out soon then move to the fab work this winter to stay busy. Or if you're like me it's relaxing to get out in the shop and build something.
I know I'm close, and normally I wouldn't be pushing this hard. But my sons senior picture day is in a couple days and I'm doing my best to get it ready for him. The weather has not cooperated here lately either. Hot and humid. Yuck. That's why I keep thinking about moving out west some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale99 View Post
I was away from the computer all weekend. Man you got a lot done!! Looking good!
Thanks. Seems like I've been running in circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
It's looking great. I didn't know if I would like that color on the entire k5 but it looks outstanding. Whenever I read your thread I always get motivated to go get some work done. You are a beast at staying busy and getting stuff done.
Thanks. Really glad that I can motivate others to keep working on their junk. Staying busy is my own therapy and keeps me from thinking about things I don't have a lot of control over. And it feels good when you actually accomplish things. Especially when its something new to try and its a bigger bonus when it actually turns out as well or better than you hoped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Looks good man! You'll always have bugs to work out or parts that fail, or things that got over looked. We took the 72 and my vette to a show a few weeks back. Guys were doing burn outs so my brother Nick took the vette to do one. He drove up turned around and stopped. Started getting ready to do one and it went to idle..... He swerved over and parked it. I was like WTF? The throttle cable broke. Great. So my other brother Scott goes and gets the 72. Pulls on the street and starts bringing the engine up in R's. I swear he waits til 4k and lets the clutch out, blah, it died. He tried to restart it and nothing. Nick walks down and does some investigating. The injection pump never got finished being timed. SOB! The nut almost fell off and the gear popped off the injection pump shaft. Luckily I had the adapter on the front cover to run my tacj or the nut would have made me more work to do. That sucked, especially with a crowd and our name on the side of the door! Oh well. Haha You just fix em and go on other wise they'll just sit there because you're too mad to work on them. I know I've been there more than once.
I had so many issues with my C-10 the last couple years before the body work/paint that my oldest girl quit going for rides with me because every time I took her something broke. Like I said earlier, I just want to get it going well enough and looking good enough to not be an problem for my son for his pictures. After that I can relax and just plug away at it without the time pressure.

I didn't talk about it much before, but getting the windshield in so I could take it down the highway was really a big thing for me. Up to that point it had not been driven faster than 50 mph and I had no idea if the tranny would even shift reliably into 3rd and go straight down the road without steering issues or the front end shaking apart. It actually all works better than I had hoped. The tranny was a worry. I did nothing to it other than filter, seals and gaskets, etc. If you remember from waaaaay back when there was corn and other junk in the pan from mice dropping it down the dip stick tube because there was no dip stick in it.

Now today Da Burb was kind enough to bring parts to work with him again for me to pick up. Unfortunately I forgot to pick them up. Cuz sometimes I forget what the hell I'm supposed to do. Sorry Kevin.

So I can't mount the door mirrors yet. I picked up a qt of krylon satin black paint for a respray of what I did yesterday. Hopefully that damn rustoleum set up in the heat today enough for me to smooth it out and spray it again. But that has to wait until I grill my pork tenderloin, steam some baby red potatoes and corn on the cob for dinner. (and let the temps outside slide down a few more degrees. Still 90 out there in the shade.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote