View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 10:44 PM   #219
425HP409
425hp409

Re: Camaro Caliper Brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
By 'factory cables' are you referring to the factory truck cables or the factory Camaro cables? I don't think either one will be a simple connect and work situation. I would think a combination of the two, since the Camaro cables will fit the bracket on the calipers. Then you will likely need to connect/splice those into your original truck cables. Alternately, you may be better off with made custom cables once you figure out the required lengths. If you don't have someone local that can make up the cables for you, I believe a couple of the suppliers that specialize in brake line tubes, can make them up.
I installed the kit from Captainfab, and it works great. I resolved two issues with the installation, Combination Valve and Parking Brake Cables
1. Combination valve - I used the factory 68 brake light switch, no proportioning valve and no metering valve. No metering valve needed with 4 wheel disc, and so far works great with no proportioning valve. I installed a master cylinder for 4 wheel disc so as not to have a residual check valve in the outlet of the master cylinder, which is only used on drum brakes. My truck started out as a 4 wheel drum and I had previously installed 72 disc brakes.
2. Parking Brake - My truck is a short bed, however the long and short bed trucks use the same rear cables, so my method should work for all trucks. I was able to use the Camaro factory rear parking brake cables and the factory Chevy intermediate cable. I moved the intermediate cable from the trailing arms to the inside of the frame, connecting to the Camaro cables. I fabricated new brackets for the front of the rear cables and made links to take the slack out of the intermediate cable. The photos show how I did it.
Attached Images

64 Bel Air Wagon, 400 Small Block
57 Bel Air all original 283 w/Factory Air
77 GMC Sprint, 454/425HP
67 Olds 442, all original
90 ZR1 Corvette

Last edited by 425HP409; 08-31-2013 at 11:16 PM.
425HP409 is offline   Reply With Quote