View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
ballencd

Quandry on NP208C1 in 1988 Suburban V10

Guys,

I am new the community and new to my Suburban and have a question....or several.

My 1988 V10 Suburban...5.7/TH700R4/NP208C1.....had/has a speedo issue. I ordered what I thought were the right gears for it since when I pulled them they were stripped both inside and out. I am thinking I got the gears for the 2WD TH700R4 and not the NP208 output but that is another issue.

After rebuilding the rear brakes I drove it and it seemed to be running hot...gauge is working and the temp stayed at normal temp....about 180 but the engine compartment seemed hotter then it should be after a drive. I found thru research here that the speedo (gears stripped) sends a VSS signal to the computer which could cause hot engine and trans.

My question: When I drained the transfer case I only got about 3/4 of a pint....yes pint of fluid. I can seen some of the inside with the tail piece off and don't see any damage...i.e. metal, discoloration, broken parts but am wondering what I should do with it at this point....disassemble/inspect and rebuild or put it back together with the correct amount of oil and see what it does? How hard are they to rebuild...i.e. can I do it at home? I am handy with tools but have not a lot of experience playing with transmission type stuff..

Charlie
Attached Images

1991 Chevy Suburban (5.7TBI/TH700R4/NP241C)
ballencd is offline   Reply With Quote