View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #249
gerfunken

Re: Scott's 1972 Chevy K-20. A place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
A couple things I see that I would do differently are all of the hose barb to an fittings. Why?? You are effectively doubling the number of possible points of leakage by using barbed an fittings to go to hose. Get some barbed hose unions and clamp the hose directly to them reducing the number of potential leak points and save a whole bunch of money too.

The fittings pictured look like regular an fittings. You need to use Teflon lined braided hose and the corresponding fittings (more expensive) for the pressures that the power steering system runs at. Regular an line will work for a very short period of time, then you will be re-doing everything in Teflon after the hose failure (makes a horrendous mess and is a potential fire hazard too).

Mail order is nice for some things, but I would highly recommend using a local source for fittings and hose. Talking with someone who knows what they are selling you and can answer questions (especially if you are not real familiar with the workings of the hose and fittings) or suggest this instead of that is very valuable. Returns are easier too. Rarely will the project work out as planned. I have a bin full of fittings that were bought with a specific purpose in mind that ended up not working in real time. I kept them because I do a lot of an line work. Through attrition, I have converted almost everything to Teflon lined hose because the regular an line doesn't last long enough in any application for my liking.

I also recommend steel fittings and adapters. It is not absolutely necessary, but I have never had a steel fitting gall during disassembly and the steel is more durable in a high vibration environment (washboard roads, etc).

I get my fittings and line from the Parker Store at 36th and Broadway (they will have everything you need), but they also have some satellite locations around town and there are other hose suppliers around the valley depending on your location/travels.
I appreciate the feedback. A point of clarification is that the hose barbs will be running all of the low-pressure components. I am going with the specific power steering fittings and the high-pressure hose for the main runs from the PS pump to the HB, and back down to the Steering Box. Also, I've gone with steel fittings for all of the high side components. I did go with aluminum on the AN-6 to 18x1.5 or 16x1.5 adaptors, only because they didn't have any steel adaptors. All of the components on the high-pressure side are specifically for high-pressure hydraulic systems, so barring any error on my assembly, they should be sufficient.

Since the low pressure side doesn't run AN sized components, I'm running the barbs for the 1/2" (cooler) and 3/8" coming off the HB. I'm also going to come off the low side of the steering box with a 3/8" line. I've also got to tee the HB and SB lines together to get into the cooler, as well as adapt from 3/8 to 1/2, and thought that this would be a rather simple (albeit somewhat expensive) solution to that problem.

Yes, I am concerned about leakage, but I think that I have done a bit of homework on this solution. If it goes to he!!, I'll PM you and buy you a beer, and let you say, "I told you Scott..."

1972 Chevy K20
Picture Gallery
Build Thread

1930 Chevy AD
Picture Gallery

1929 Ford Model-A
Picture Gallery

1975 Triumph TR-6
Picture Gallery

Last edited by gerfunken; 09-02-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Adding info
gerfunken is offline   Reply With Quote