View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #160
jgammill

Re: Project: GOOBER, 1971 GMC

Got the doubler all back together with another factory resplined shaft from Jed's. That's the only way to get another shaft and he had to make it for me. I should be good cause I really thing I must have shifted the wrong case iin first and that caused to much torque on the shaft. I won't do that again.

We decided to go to Clayton over the labor day weekend and had a pretty good time. To bad it was 108 degrees during the day! We had already decided that we would just be night wheeling anyways. Pulled in at midnight Friday, unloaded, set up camp, and went wheeling. We didn't pull back into camp until 7am. No breakage that night so we just hung out in the camper in the ac all day sleeping and bsing. Went back out Saturday evening about 6 and wheeled until 2 of the rigs in our group had major problem. One smashed the tranny pan and broke the shifter off the side of the case. The other one had a link mount rip off the frame and then on the way down his tcase took a ****. But I made it out without any carnage except for a few more dents in the old girl.

We only got a few pic all weekend and very little video since we were mainly night wheeling. Here's where I was starting in to try the ledge. Never had tried before cause I never thought it would fit.

I had to hit it at a hard angle to get the bumper to clear so I could get started up it.

Got most the way up without much issue.

Then when my belly bottomed out it allowed the rear end to slide to the passenger side, witch put the top of my bed corner right under the big rock behind me. No way to back out. So we figured to try and winch it and make it pivot back to clear the bed. I thought it was going to rip the whole bed side down but it came out alright. I'm just glade they put the tailgate down cause it would have ripped it down. Just a couple more dents.

Then on top of the mountain it got a little sideways. Picture doesn't do it justice.

Was able to drive out of it.

We had a good little group of rigs with us.

We definitely will not be going back during the heat of the summer like that again though. Ended up coming home a day soon since the other 2 guy were broke.
jgammill is offline   Reply With Quote