View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #317
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Re: Project Family Truckster: 2wd Conversion Turbo LSx Blazer Build

[QUOTE=Wasted Income;6044987]Well as they say, the devil is in the details. I had more time in coming up with radiator and heater hoses that will work, than I did in the whole hot-side...

Got the downpipe fabbed up. Turbo outlet is 5", and I reduced to 4" right off the flange. I used a band clamp instead of welding the last piece for several reasons. First off, I'm not sure if I want it to exit there for sure, long-term. Secondly, it may be way too loud and require a muffler (which is ultimately did....lol). Lastly, any rework is one less thing to cut apart.

Had to get creative on the lower radiator hose, since the crossover and merge are fighting for real estate with the hose.
I ended up cutting the lower radiator neck back, and re-welding it...reducing it from 1.75" to 1.5", with a tight bend coming out to clear the exhaust. A nice benefit is that both end of the radiator hose are now 1.5" instead of being staggered. I went with the stainless steel flex hose for the bulk of the lower hose, to reduce the chance of damage or melting from heat.

Couldn't really go above the frame, or below the frame with the turbo oil drain...so I went through it with a -12 AN bulkhead fitting.

Heater hoses were a bit of a challenge as well, since the pass right between the downpipe and the manifold. The waterpump outlet is also very tight to the merge, which required molded hoses with 90s on them. I used a reflective heat wrap that is similar to what we use at work on our aftertreatment modules to shield fuel lines and such from excessive heat.

Lastly here's a quick vid showing one of the coolest features of the Megasquirt. Logging and tuning on my phone, via Bluetooth. Took a little vid while I was burping the cooling system.

2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote