View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #278
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

I'm a bit behind my self imposed schedule for the Nats, but I should be able to make it with a few minutes to spare. The rest of the engine is pretty much done. I say "pretty much" because there are several things I need to revisit after the show. Two main issues are the poor quality rocker arms and the intake gasket / bolts for the Vortec heads. I'll have to fixture up the rocker arms and run a ball end mill into the pushrod dimples to clean out the casting flash they left in some of them. Pretty sloppy manufacturing there. Also found out that the fiber gaskets with the silicone print-o-seal are junk. GM quit using them because they're affected by oil and antifreeze and develop leaks. They replaced them with a plastic and rubber sandwich design that is far superior. Got a set on the way and will have to remove the intake after the show and replace what I have on there now.

The Speedway center bolt adapters worked perfectly and blend in with the polished aluminum valve covers such that you barely notice them. Engine is ready to drop in first thing tomorrow morning, so I should have time later to tidy up a few things before the show. Gonna be hot!!
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote