View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #19
SCOTI

Re: Dumb wheels painting question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post
Also I ended up finding a local junkyard that is selling the rally wheels for $20 each. Not too bad given the prices I've seen at other places to buy them.

I know very little about plasti-dip. Do you know if its made for the kind of abuse that its going to see on a wheel? Small dirt and such always peppering it as you're driving down the road. Plus brake dust. The plasti dip that I remember, was originally being sold to fix fishing poles lol. You'd just thread around the break very tightly, then brush on a little plasti dip.
Paint from a rattle can is much easier to use when it comes to touch-ups. Try that w/plasti-dip once it peels (& it will somewhere w/o proper prep).

Get the wheels blasted if it's in your budget (with or w/o tires mounted).
Thoroughly degrease the surface.
A couple of light coats of paint (heavy/thick coats will crack).

To keep paint off the tires, wipe them down w/a pad soaked in some armor-all (overspray/paint won't stick to armor-all). You can just wipe them off again....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote