View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #53
LEEVON

Re: Project "Rebound" 2006 RCSB

Truck has been fighting me lately. I thought the water pump had been squeaking, plus there is a 3" drip of coolant in the driveway every morning, then it nearly overheated so I replaced the pump (who wouldn't?), gaskets, coolant and a/c belt while I was in there. I have replaced lots of these around the same mileage, they just go bad. Then the squeak came back, which I think now is probably the a/c tensioner as it has gotten rediculous. Or it could be the compressor clutch. So I probably replaced the pump for no reason, and I could still have a bad compressor.

But the winner is the horrible knock/tick I got after a road trip. Sounded like a stuck lifter, but could be something worse. I shut the truck down, checked the oil and it was low. Added 1qt, knock went away. Checked the oil again the next morning and it was still low, so now I'm 2 quarts added. No leaks, or evidence of oil in the coolant (just drained it remember) and the oil was changed 2000 miles ago. Oil consumption issue? Stuck lifter? Low end knock!!!?

Yet somehow the last tank of gas netted 19 mpg after an average over 2500 miles of 15mpg.