Thread: thee HAMbulance
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
ac/bc

Wink Re: thee HAMbulance

the "project" as I see it right now:
-UN-lower it (im a fan of function over form, and dragging bottom for six feet on speed bumps at the beer store is not function in my eyes)\

-since it already had a pretty nice ride with 4 coil suspension, im sticking with that. I was torn between getting this near original platform back to original, and getting what I wanted out of my first 71 suburban, which was have a 4x4 with a factory or near factory stance for cruising and camping. so function won out, and im putting the floating 205 transfer case in it leaving the original 50k mile 350/350 combo intact.

-seats and carpet are not original so the carpets coming out and im probably do some sort of seat reconfiguring and reupholstering. ive got a thread looking for the second row 3/4 seat, and id like to put that in combo with the third row(mounted with quick release for function) that I already had from the parts truck. im a carpenter, so I think im gonna do a rough sawn cherry bed in the back, with some wood I milled from a giant black cherry that fell in my yard years ago. ive got some 16"-20" wide planks that im dying to use on something. the front floor will probably go back to rubber or something easy to clean florida sand out.

-maybe, if it lines up, put some of the original ambulance lights and siren back. not a priority, but if it fell into place, and cost was right, it would be fun. same for interior ambulance equipment.

-ive also got a thread for work/utility bumpers so if that lines up I would like to go back with something that might have been on the ambulance originally

as you all know its a work in progress and I haven't had it long enough to know what the project "needs". im looking forward to the process, and learning along the way. I can build just about anything out of wood, but I haven't even scratched the surface on working on cars and trucks. I feel like a little kid sometimes when I read and see what some of you are doing on your projects. when I started taking apart the 2wd parts truck, years ago, I was absolutely amazed at the fact that I could take that rolling chassis apart down to the frame with about 3 sockets in a matter of days. easy right? putting it back together is another story. any dummy can demo a house with some basic tools, but building it back, not so easy.
ac/bc is offline   Reply With Quote