View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #1212
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

I figured out the temperature gauge issue. Much simpler to fix than I had hoped. I looked up the OEM part number and what it fit, which was several GM products up to about 1978. Then looked up the 1980 part number and it was a 3/8" NPT fitting rather than the OEM 1/2" NPT. I took a chance that it would work for the older gauge, which it did. So for you guys that swap engines with something thats 1978 or newer and want your temp gauge to work, just get the engine temp sensor for the 1980 or so truck.

And my camaro tach is slowly coming to life. Getting more movement on it now. I'm just gonna let it go and see what happens.

The tranny leakage is getting worse though and I finally found the source. It's not the dipstick tube like I thought or any of the other obvious things you'd think about checking. Its that little round cover on the passenger side.

So I'm looking through my TH350 manual to learn how to fix that. I verified it by eliminating the other possible sources on it by tying papertowels around those, then driving it a bit and rechecking them. They were clean but the leak was still bad. I got a mirror and flashlight out and saw oil on the bottom edge of that cover, but didn't know for sure if that was the source or if it had just spread and creeped there since its right at that flange for the pan. I cleaned it up and started the engine and looked again with the mirror and sure enough it started seeping.

While hooking up the temp sensor I cleaned up the engine compartment wire harness routing a bit. I found a wire gutter part for the firewall in my parts stash. I used the driver side head for the sensor rather than the passenger side like the original. Just makes more sense to me and its easier to get to.

And I got my visors bolted in. Still need to do the clips that hold the inner part, but whatever, they're in.

And they need wiped off.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote