View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #327
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Update...

Chassis is home from the frame shop. They were able to remove 100% of the twist and all but 3/32" of the diamond. LeRoy called and explained that if they pulled it all the way, the rearend wouldn't track straight. Told him the track was most important to me and not to worry about the small amount of diamond. I'll compensate for that when I align the cab and bed. It now sits nice and level. The small kinks in the frame up near the LF body mount are gone and the mount now sits in the correct location.

While it was out, I got back on the cab and finished laying the fiberglass. When I pulled the top off, there was a considerable amount of pitting and pinholes around the windshield and door frames. I welded in patches for the worst of it, but for the pitting I elected to use fiberglass for sealing and a bit of strength. After taping over the outside areas where resin might run out, I laid up a couple of layers of chopped mat. Then followed that in some places with a layer of cloth. Also fished a wire down the A-pillar and out a hole in the kick panel near where I will be installing the fuse box. This will allow me to pull wires for the dash cam, GPS antenna and map lights.

While the glass was setting up, I began welding pins for pulling the numerous small dents that cover the back of the cab. There are also some mystery holes in the back where it appears something unknown was screwed on at some point in the past. All will need to be welded shut.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote