View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 01:01 AM   #368
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

I prefer the '73-'87 control arms for the better (IMO) rubber bushings. I also prefer to use the entire '73-'87 steering linkage along with the idler arm, pitman arm and steering box. That way all the steering parts are of the same vintage, which is less confusion later on when replacement parts are needed. And no expensive aluminum adapter sleeves are needed. I also recommend upgrading to the larger '73-'87 lower control arm U-bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64chevmn View Post
I read all 15 pages of of this post and almost all of my questions were covered, but I do have to ask one question.

Besides being able to roll a complete front suspension under my 64 that is complete with disc brakes and the steering components, what is the greatest advantage of doing the swap to a 73-87 system? I would like to keep as much of my 64 original as possible, but if the steering, upper and lower control arms are that much better on a 73-87 swap, then maybe it would be worth the swap.

My original plan was to buy a set of 2.5 drop spindles, add power disc brakes and power steering; all parts that are easily found........but I'm still debating if the swap is the way to go or just piece meal the front end together and keep my original cross member and upper and lower control arms?

Thanks!

Dan
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote