View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #281
maynardtruckin

Re: 1970 GMC Suburban... for the family

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
So I’m going to talk religion here for a moment, automatic transmissions. I am building a 700R4 for the Burb for several reasons; choice (other than preference over a 3 speed auto) is not one of them. I really have very little invested in parts between the transmission and the transfer case so far, and I would like to keep it that way. In all honesty, the Burb would be rolling now if a guard rail hadn’t claimed the 350/4L80E/NP241. But cause, effect, and just wanting to drive it again have driven me to this road I leisurely embark.

Having barely any experience rebuilding anything lighter duty than a 4L80E, I set out in the pursuit of knowledge, which led me to purchase this book.

If you have never torn into an automatic transmission, and intend to rebuild your own 700R4, or know what you want a transmission shop to build for you, I recommend reading this book at least. If you have ever rebuilt an automatic transmission, ever, I wouldn’t waste your time. I was disappointed to say the least. I originally bought this book knowing that the 700R4 had several weak points for the particular year I am building (1985 built) so I was in search of what I could do to beef up the internals without going overboard. Honestly, I didn’t find what I was looking for in this book. When I was 16 I had another book that was step by step instructions for teardown, cleaning, inspection, and rebuild of GM’s TH350, TH400, (their variants), 700R4, and 200-4R. I wish I still had that book. I will be buying the ATSG manual for assembly.

I got more information from watching this video about what I should do to the internals from watching this video on You-can-build-your-own-nucleat-submarine-tube.com.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idB8VA1bVLk

But with every auto builder, there is a difference of opinion on certain internal part choices (religion). There are several components that the majority agrees on, so I will take them as sound advice. But things like the 5 pinion planetary, I’ll stick with my 4. In any case, when I am done with this transmission, I will have a stout unit that should last behind a bone stock TBI 350 and turning 4.10 gears with nothing taller than a 33” tire. Expect plenty of tech, probably the same way I did for the NP205.
That is a great book. As someone who has rebuilt many 700r4/4l60/4l60e's before I picked up that book I found that book Informative when I picked it up for some light reading. It is nice to have it handy for customer questions.

67 c10 swb build in progress
70 c10 lwb driver pending parts for drastic overhaul
70 c20 lwb parts truck for above mentioned drastic overhaul
71 k20 lwb building for off road use and towing
maynardtruckin is offline   Reply With Quote