View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Prep aluminum for powder coat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastnut View Post
Wow, that's a lot of great info, Thanks Tx!
I have used some high quality paint stripper to remove the powder coat, but it takes a lot of scrubbing, and I definitely agree with any type of blast media.
Thanks again!
All B17 is is methylene chloride. I suspect you'll find the active ingredient in your stripper was also methylene chloride. Same thing, but B17 is pure while commercial paint stripper has other "filler" materials in it with a lower overall concentration of methylene chloride.

Depending on how serious you want to be with powdercoating, an investment in 5 gallons of B17 pays dividends. Keep it in an airtight tub and you can use it forever. I use a big giant rubber horse watering bucket. But, 5 gallons is enough for most smaller operations. Even if you can only dip part of the item in at one time, you can remove it, turn it a different way and eventually get it all stripped. When I started out with just 5 gallons, I kept it in a ten gallon tub. I couldn't submerge a valve cover or an intake completely, but I could lift it out, flip it over and do it half at a time. Not ideal, but worlds better than any other option.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote