View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #1046
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

That’s why I tend to do this type of work in the winter, because I can’t go out and do anything else that’s more enjoyable. This type of upholstery is not fun, it’s miserable. But the end result is rewarding if it comes out right.

Here’s the first seat back rough tufted:

All the buttons are in and the mass of the center diamonds are formed. On a seat back, the 1st row of buttons begins on the bottom and works towards the top. When tufting the seat cushion, the diamonds start at the front and work toward the back. This is to insure that every diamond fold is always facing down or forward. This allows the seat to be wiped clean in a down or forward motion rather than trapping debris if the folds face the other direction.

Normally the 1st row of buttons would go in, followed by forming half diamonds when the 2nd row of buttons is installed. When the 3rd row is in place the 1st set of full diamonds can be formed. This process is repeated one row at a time until finished. Because these late 60’s style of diamonds are so small, the individual tufts won’t hold a permanent set until the entire cover is stretched, pleated and fastened in place. This allows me to go ahead and attach all the buttons in one sitting with only minor attention to the diamond folds until I’m done with the buttons.

As soon as my hands will permit, the next step is attaching the upholstery to the seat cushion, forming the perimeter diamonds, finishing the side & top pleats, and fabricating/installing a rear panel. Fortunately I have a pair of spare seats, so I’ll upholster them instead of having the truck out of service. Once both seats are completed I’ll simply swap out the seats.