Thread: hei issue
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #13
70c10stepside

Re: hei issue

I put in a module today that I know for sure works, not a new one for the time being, but I know it was fine. Out of my buds dizzy he just pulled that was working fine. Getting a new one when I go by the parts store, they said warranty will cover it. And then It went from there. While out I put on different springs that I got last time at summit. Being I knew the curve was way off. I know the distributor is in right. We checked it a billion times. But the first time I hit the switch it sound like two grenades back to back out the carb followed by smoke. Hit the switch again, it turned over for a couple seconds and it back fired out the carb again, much quieter, without me tapping the throttle at all giving it gas. At that point we all looked at each other pretty confused. We next made sure the wires were in the correct firing order, made sure the thing was on true top dead center over and over. Swapped caps/coils, put the mid level springs and then stock springs, not a change. Still back firing out the carb. The fire is right with the compression stroke when we ground the plug on the header as it should. The carb has oily residue inside, a little more then normal from the pcv valve I guess? Same with plugs. Could it be like the silinoid in the distributor itself? Do I have the wrong name for that part? What else could it be?

Motor is hardly a year old. Same with distributor. May have 3k tops on it. The motor is a 350 0014 block, 68 461 327 heads, .030 over, around 11.1 compression, cam is 488/508 lift, duration at 50 is 234/244, lobe separation is 112, still 1.5 stamped rockers, edelbrock torkii 2 intake, holley 750 vs (mathematically to big, I know, but it does very well. Had a 600 vs but couldnt get it right. this one performs great). And the dizzy is just a gm hei that still looks brand new on the inside, with a msd hei replacement cap and rotor.

What is going on?lol Ran amazing before it lost spark this last time. Was playin with vp in it actually, it ran sweet! Plugs had a perfect mixture on them, ran like a million bucks. But now, not so great. I dont know what else to throw at it. Thoughts? Anything counts lol Worked on it trying to resolve from 5:30 to 1030. Taking our time tracing our steps, trying to get it right.
70c10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote