View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 03:30 AM   #48
BlazinC5

Re: Project: 40/Yr old makeover.

So, after getting those parts POR 15ed. I set them aside to fix a lil something else. After years of beeing sat on, both the rear drivers seat mounts had some fatigue too. The sheet metal cracked and the support bracket was bent a little too.
Name:  100_2653.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  35.0 KB

I found some scrap metal that was rigid for my job at hand. this 1x1 angle iron worked great. I just drilled 2 holes to match the width of the seat mount and ran a couple of bolts into the mount. I used some washers as spacers. This took several setups to flatten it all out.
Name:  100_2658.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  28.1 KB

I also did the same with the underside. You can see the bend in the support bracket here. My bolts came in from the top and had enouph thread to get a couple of nuts on the botom. Using the washers to push from below. from here I just tightend the nuts up till I got it flat.
Name:  100_2659.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  37.5 KB

I then needed to pull the whole bracket up. I pulled off the angle iron under the floor and backed out the bolts to fit a couple of 3/16" plate scraps on each side of the angle iron on top. I used the larger plate scraps to be more supportive (convincing) to the floor with the bracket to move up, rather than the rest of the floor give in to the bracket.
Name:  100_2661.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  32.1 KB

It took a few times of tightening and loosening the bolts due to the spring back the material has in it. As for the floor metal on each side of the support bracket, only one side had a low spot, and a couple of taps with a wood stick on the underside, it came out flush with the rest of it.
Name:  100_2662.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  50.6 KB

My build, Restarted

05 Buell firebolt
94 1500 Z71
No rice for me,,, I'm full
BlazinC5 is offline   Reply With Quote