View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #51
BlazinC5

Re: Project: 40/Yr old makeover.

With the outer front floor support securely in place, I also had it bolted up to the A pillar, inner rocker, and kick panel. I made some plug welds in the small section of the floor area. I used some sheetmetal screws to hold it in place that i stole from an old busted washing machine. Sometimes beeing a packrat has advantages. Cause I figured they would be useful for something some day. and since everything was nice and snug in place, I tacked welded the kick pannel and lower A pillar on too. Keep in mind the inner rocker needed a bit of modification to fit in place and the tail end of it was shortend because it was going to a blazer. I also had to drill 2 holes to match up with the rear floor support.
Name:  100_2687.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  45.8 KB

As for the A-pillar patch. Once I got it tacked on, it needed some tweeking too. I just lined up the critical outer points and tapped the material into place with the body hammer making a nice smooth radious.
Name:  100_2688.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  53.2 KB
After I was satisfied with everything, I welded it solid. It seems I am also lacking the pic of it ground smooth. I'll have to look in my other file and try to find it. It looked really nice all polished up.
Name:  100_2689.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  46.8 KB

Time to tackle some floor. When you get a floor, side section. There is alot of extra I didn't need. So I turned on the Plasma cutter and started triming it down to a more manageable size. I got a lil carried away on the rearward side. But worked out in the end. The front part was more of a challenge with making it meet up to the firewall. I didn't want to just lay it over the top and weld it. I wanted it to fit like the old floor. So there was lots of trimming and bending with my wide mouth vise grips.
Name:  100_2690.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  29.6 KB

I cut some slits in in the panel about the same width of the vise grips and bent the end over at a 90 deg. angle.
Name:  100_2692.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  39.8 KB

My build, Restarted

05 Buell firebolt
94 1500 Z71
No rice for me,,, I'm full
BlazinC5 is offline   Reply With Quote