View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 12:22 AM   #14
swamp rat

Re: thermostat question

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgdsrf View Post
Sounds to me like you've now check the gauge but you may still need to check the snding unit. 10-15 min to warm up at most.
Absolutely something wrong here, i wouldn't go below a 185 degree thermostat for this area, personally i run a 190. A performance guy might squeek a tiny bit more horse power out using a cooler thermostat but its not worth it.

Make sure the thermostat is installed right side up, and also check for proper hose routing. When the thermostat (about 10 minutes run time) opens it sends warm water thru the heater core regardless of if the heater is turned on or not so both the hoses should also be warm, if there not then the core could be blocked or hoses routed improperly, the only way to check is to pull the hoses and put some low pressure air or water thru to check the flow and look at the manual for routing.

Have you checked the cowl for debre built up thru the years? that can block the air from entering the heater, might even need to pull the hood hinge on the passenger side and then pull the electrical heater motor and check for crap build up there as well, that can and has been known to damage the squirrel cage.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote