View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
mr48chev

Re: Camaro front clip questions

Got a buddy or know where to find one of those Camaros with stock suspension? slide under it and measure the ground to crossmember distance and write it down along with the diameter of the tires on the front of the car and go from there.

When my students and I subframed my 51 Merc with a Nova Subframe one of my students at the time drove his Nova in the shop and we measured his crossmeber's distance from the floor and set the Merc up to match. That crossmember was 6-1/2 inches from the shop floor and we found a big wood block 6-1/2 inches thick and set it on it and leveled the back legs of the subframe, Then set the Merc at the ride height we wanted it at and mated the two frames together. The end product came out right on the money.

The photo that 59Stepside posted in post #2 should be required viewing for anyone contemplating a subframe swap on one of those trucks. note that the back legs of the subframe are EXACTLY parallel with the trucks frame setting the paired frames up as one factory designed chassis.
Some self styled "experts" will say to build in compensation for a rake in the frame if you plan to run a serious rake but that is totally wrong info and you end up with a mess that will not work right in the long run. You end up with a truck that looks bent in the middle with serious issues getting the already hard to fit sheet metal to fit.

Good luck and keep us posted.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote