View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #452
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Mixed up a small batch of the Glisten PC today and sprayed it on some test pieces. Not sure what to think of the results. Could be some of the issues are my own doing but not 100%.

First of all, the product literature I read before buying it said it needs a one hour inception time in a sealed container after mixing. However, the instructions on the can said it has a pot life of 3-4 hours and can be sprayed right after mixing. So naturally, I didn't wait the hour. Don't know if that had anything to do with the way it came out of the gun, but maybe. Seemed to like higher air pressure than I'm accustomed to using.

Second, the product lit recommends spraying the cleaner on the bare metal, letting it sit for two minutes, then rinse and dry. I did this with one piece and not with the other to see if there was a difference. It looks like the piece with etch may allow the clearcoat to flow out a little better. However, both have a fair amount of orange peel.

Third, it takes several hours for the surface to dry tack free. Since I don't have a booth, there were some dust nibs that settled on the surface. Not a big deal from normal viewing distance, but still aggravating. The way this stuff is supposed to dry, I doubt you can wet sand and buff it.

Lastly, I also sprayed the polished cover I made for the fan pulley. It looked absolutely awful. Again, it probably was my fault as I varied from the procedure. After using the etch, I noticed some small spots I was afraid would be magnified by the gloss clear. So I re-polished the piece and washed it good with Dawn dishwashing liquid then rinsed and dried it. I reckon I should have used the etch a second time but didn't. The upshot is that on the polished surface, the clear had a very heavy orange peel and didn't want to flow out at all. After waiting about a half hour, I dipped the piece in thinner and removed all traces of the coating.

You're supposed to be able to brush the product on and it will flow out any brush marks. After watching how it performs using a spray gun, I'd be skeptical of that claim. As of now, I'm back to researching products.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote