View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #457
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

I sprayed it on there over a year ago and the grill sat outside next to my garage until I installed it after I got my paint done in August. Been driving it since then. So it sat exposed in a MN winter with dust and dirt settling on it. And for the other seasons, hot, cold, wet, dry, etc. No signs of peeling yet which was my biggest concern. I might have sanded it with real fine grit paper too before spraying but it's been so long I don't remember. Could look back through the thread and see I suppose.

I also sprayed the black border around my chrome steel replacement grill on my C-10. Since it was black though, I prepped by taping off the area to be painted then sanded with 320 grit, then cleaned, etch primed, and painted. Thats been about 1.5 years and a few thousand miles. I scratched it once. No other issues.

And I also painted a chrome rear bumper doing a similar process. Talking to my friends at the body shop here they said as long as there is something for the paint to grip to it should be good. It doesn't have to be visible scratches. The bond is microscopic really.

I figure worst case is removing the grill, strip it and respray it if it ever gets bad. Not really a big deal.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote