View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
Jahloha

Re: Engine Components Upgrade List (newbie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
The problem they are talking of the oil now a days does not have a additive in it [some form of zinc something] that the older oils did thus leaving the flat tappet type camshafts more at risk of going flat. Now being that you are newer to the inside of engines you must know that other than a camshaft you would have to have roller type lifters and keepers of some form weather the newer stock type spider or a lock bar type set up. Also since the roller lifters are a lot taller you will need new pushrods. Then the tops of the rocker will need some type of roller stuff as well. Depending on type or brand you may also need a rev kit that locks all of the rocker arm together by the use of tall lock nuts that bolt on top of the rocker arms it is called a stud girdle.All of that is not needed for a good ol 350 chevy, run a 260H comp camdon't go over the 268H like I said before and by the oil additive every oil change, just ask the guys at comp witch one to buy[you can call 1-800-cam-help] and ask them, that is the CompCams help line.
Hugger:

Thanks for chiming in. Would I need to decide if I wanted to go with a roller cam prior to getting it machined? Or do I have some time to decide?

I have read your comments a lot, all over our board, so I appreciate your advice.

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Jahloha is offline   Reply With Quote