View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #25
swamp rat

Re: thermostat question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambudo View Post
Well now that I have the theromstat installed correctly and heats up in 10 minutes, and leak issues. I still do not have the temp gauge working. I will work on this and make sure that it is connected properly. Then check the heat sending unit. Do i need to pull this out to check if working properly?

The heater does not work, i need to replace the heat hose under the dash, and the bottom lever is missing from my heat control. looks like all hooked up in the back, just no lever.

Also after the car heated up the radiator hoses were warm and the heater hoses were very hot, is this normal? Thanks again for everyones input.
The 5/8 and 3/4 heater hoses will be as hot as your water temp, if a 190 thermostat then at least that hot probably even a bit hotter because the water that flows to the heater just went thru the engine. The Heater core will always have hot water flowing thru it.

The bottom lever controls a flap door inside the heater body, the door is what allows the air to flow across the heater core. If i remember correctly the air flows from the blower, then to a door which allows ether, none, all or part of the air to flow across the heater core, if it allows none then the air goes around a bypass and comes out ether the heat or defrost outlets depending on the position of that control. The door is moved depending how far you push the lever to the hot or cold side, and by varying the air across the heater core is what controls the temperature.

The temp gauge is very possibly the sending unit which is usually screwed into the head but not sure on your engine. The sending unit is not suppose to have Teflon tape on the pipe threads as the threads are the ground. Auto parts stores sell sensor safe thread sealer made for this application.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote