View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #156
yossarian19

Re: Project: Over My Head

I had a couple good weeks working so I spent a few bucks on parts.
One thing I came up with was a fluid pressure type brake switch. I'd initially been scared off because I underestimated the pressure capacity of a 1/8" NPT fitting. They are suposedly good for 5,000 PSI - a lot more than my hydroboost can put out, so I think I'm good. The parts came off Amazon for under $20. It's a 3/16" inverted flare on two sides & a 1/8" NPT on the other with the brake switch screwed into it...

At some point soon I'll have to plumb then wire this into my brake circuit so the 4.8 knows when my foot is on the brake (TC unlocks) and everyone else knows what I'm doing.

Totally unrelated to the brakes, I'm also working out how to rebuild my hood hinges. One side had skipped a tooth due to play in the rivets. While I'm figuring out what exactly to do about putting it back together, I'm soaking the disassembled parts in white vinnegar to ease the rust off them.

I think McMaster-Carr.com has the bushings I'll use to rebuild them. 7/16" bolts came close but ultimately didn't fit well enough. The shorter bolts don't have any unthreaded shank on them and the threaded portion fit sloppy. So, I'll drill out the pieces that need it to use the bushings I can get. By the time I'm done with the vinnegar bath, painting, installing bushings & putting bolts in it, this won't be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying reproduction units. On the other hand, it will be a little cheaper and a lot more instructive.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote