View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #105
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

Re: 1972 4x4 Short Bed Project "Seven-Deuce"

Well, I've been waiting for the seat cover to arrive in order to move forward. I didn't want to hang the doors, fenders and hood and then have to monkey around with the bench seat afterwards. I had purchased my Avocado highlander plaid fabric from SMS a while back, and at the end of July I sent it to member "Truckseats" to be sewn into a seat cover. It took a lot longer than I had anticipated, but its not something he had laying on the shelf. And once it arrived, it looks beautiful.
The seat foam was a mess under where the drivers butt would be. Through some reading on Jim's 1969 C/20 build, I used his method of repairing the foam. The block of foam was about $65 (a far cry from the prices of all new bench foam). I am still in the middle of that right now, it is pretty time consuming. Here are some pics

EDIT 1/5/14: I've gotten a few PMs about the foam. It is available at www.DIYupholsterysupply.com The foam block I used was 24" x 22" x 7" thick. Based on the info in Jim's 1969 C20 build I chose firmness of 40lb and density of 24. The new foam is significantly firmer than the old seat. To the point where it feels like I am sitting higher up in the cab. Not necessarily uncomfortable, but definitely noticable. Hopefully it will wear in after a while. The next softer foam might have been too spongy, though. This is Jim's build that has much more detailed info than mine. Begin reading at post #211 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=456911&page=9

Just placed the cover on there to get an idea of what it would look like

Foam work:

THE POINT OF NO RETURN!

Shaved down to match the old foam using an Electric turkey slicer and flap disc. Still plenty of shaping left to do...

'15 Chevy 2500HD CCSB High Country Duramax
'22 Tahoe Premier Duramax

Last edited by yfs200p; 01-05-2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added info.
yfs200p is offline   Reply With Quote