View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
57chevyman

Re: 57 chevy truck shifter problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I'd have to ask what shifter it has now as you may be able to clean it up and get new bushings an go again.

If you are looking at this particular Mr Gasket shifter Mr. Gasket 7667A Universal Floor Shifter : Amazon.com : Automotive
I wouldn't waste my money as it will be doing the same thing in a few months.

If it shifts good otherwise it probably has something causing it to hang up when you go into reverse. That could be that it is over centering the linkage or it could be that the linkage is hanging up on something or the bushings if there are bushings are worn out. I'd see if I could figure out the "why" of it's hanging up and then see if I could fix that cause. I'd also pull it off the truck and take it apart on the bench while making sure I kept track of how each part was situated in the shifter as I took it apart. I'd then smooth out any wear grooves or things that may have caused it to hang up, clean it up and lube it and put it back together. I've done that on the Hurst 3 speed in my 48 a number of times over the years when it started hanging up.
Make sure that you have everything set exactly right when you adjust the levers when you put it back on as that is critical.

One more thing I have fought over the years is on "universal shifters" you have to bend the shift rods to fit your application and quite often guys don't get them bent just right and that causes the shifter to hang up.
come to think of it, it does feel like the shifter is going further forward than it should for reverse. it shifts perfectly between 1st 2nd and 3rd. its a hurst 3 speed shifter, with a universal handle attached to it, so you cant tell what brand it is from inside the truck.

1957 Chevy 3100
2000 Silverado z71 SOLD
2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
1992 International 4700
57chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote