View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
Prematuregrey

Re: C20 Leaf Springs or Coils

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
I'll have to call bs on that one.......the wood would have to be stacked 8-9' high and weigh in upwards of 8k. A cord of wet oak can weigh in the neighborhood of 4000#+ by itself. I've got a GMC 3/4 with 10 leafs and I am maxed out at 4200# in the bed ...gravel
I agree, a "cord" is measured as 8' x 4' x 4' ( basically (3) 8' rows stacked 4' high cut 14-16" long when done unloading). Weight not considered, 2 cords would fit if stacked about 6-7' tall in the bed and I feel sorry for the truck at that. When I used haul/sell firewood, I'd show up with a bed load level with the bedsides for a cord and bring a low boy trailer flat loaded about 18" deep if they want 2 cords.

I would like to see a pic of the factory overload helpers with coils. Did they install overload leafs alone or was it a type of coil over or air shock helper spring?

To the OP, I don't think you'll have an issue with a camper on 3/4 ton coil spring setup provided everything is still at spec. After 40+ years coils do degrade a lot in their spring rate so new coils would be advised.
71 Chevy K20, Clifford, BB and 1 Tons
Prematuregrey is offline   Reply With Quote