View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 12:24 AM   #80
Jahloha

Re: For Gramps (1970 C20 RestoMod)

UPDATE:

I have been waiting for some time to work on the frame using a wire wheel, to see what kind of shape the frame is in. Here is the short list of things I learned after 2 minutes of wire wheeling:

-My Makita wireless drills will drain battery too fast, gotta use a wired drill
-The frame seems to be in great shape with mostly minimal surface rust (gotta love CA frames)
-It is definitely not safe to do this sort of thing without a mask/respirator; so I will be buying one tomorrow before I continue on with this part of the build
-I am now more excited to get warm enough weather to prime and paint the front end of the frame.

I plan on addressing the frame in three steps: front end, back end, then under the cab. Seeing as I plan on leaving the cab on for this restoration, I want to work on the frame as I work on that section. I think this will keep me focused with the task at hand and not get ahead of myself tearing everything down, just to paint the frame, then not know where to start once I begin putting things together.

Here are some pics from my 2 min session, I chose an 18" section on the front end to work on.

Before:
Name:  Before Wire Brush.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  96.1 KB

After:
Name:  After Wire Brush.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  71.3 KB

Additional Photos:
Name:  More Wire Brush Cleaning.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  41.4 KB
Name:  Wire Brush More.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  37.7 KB
Name:  Wire Brush Product.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  81.5 KB

Mahalo!

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Jahloha is offline   Reply With Quote