View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 03:57 AM   #3
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

Re: Toying with the idea of C30 to K30 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJorgensen52 View Post
Gents,

I'm toying with the idea of doing a 4x4 conversion on my '72 GMC. It gets used for hauling firewood out back and other things for which it would be useful.

So, that said, looking for input or info from anybody who's done this before. I've done some searching and I've come up with not a whole lot.

I also have a slight dilemma in that this truck has a PTO driven hydraulic bed setup and I'd like to not have to completely rework everything to move it to clear the transfer case.

With all this in mind, I've come up with this:
-78+ SM465 (32 spline output 4wd with NP208 transfer case adapter)
-BW4401 or BW4470 1 ton transfer case from a 87-00 K3500
-D60 driver's side pumpkin - this would come from a Ford 1 ton and swap the knuckles/brakes to Chevy parts

As far as the front springs go, I'd probably use 3/4T rear springs, and make custom hangars so I don't have to drill through the frame. This would also give me a bit of a front end lift.

I'd probably then add some blocks in the rear, or possibly flip the hangars and add longer shackles, to keep it level.

Obviously I need custom drive shafts for this. The rear I should just be able to shorten the mid-shaft.

I don't see any particular reason to swap my engine cross member, as all the front end components are bolted to it and can be removed. If I need to, I'd probably use one from a K20.

I understand it'll be a bit of work, but this seems doable to me. Am I crazy or not? Comments / advice appreciated!
I've been accumulating parts for a few years to do this same conversion. As far as your front crossmember I would ditch it in favor of a stock 4x4 engine cradle, you will have much better clearance over your axle with the smaller 4x4 cradle than the 2 wheel drive version. And for a transmission why don't you just leave your SM465 you have now since it already has your PTO setup for the pump...just use a divorced Dodge NP205 from a mid 70s truck, it's a passenger side drop so you can use the GM Dana 60 front axle and you should have plenty of length for the divorced case with your longer wheelbase. Either way you do it should be a really cool project.