View Single Post
Old 12-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #33
Rod Run

Re: values of 67-72's deja vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I think what is happening is that many guys have to pass on building that dream muscle car just for the cost of the entire project and are finding it's way easier to talk their wives into letting them buy an old cheap truck to "use " around the house than build a $30,000.00 Camaro that will sit in the garage until that Sunday drive/trailer ride to the show . They are cheap to buy and parts are easier to find "now" and you can still haul flowers home for your girls garden on Saturday ! Your just not going to see a lot of patina Camaros driving around , trucks ARE THE NEW CRUISERS and recent prices for detailed finished trucks show it as true . Now even tho the drive trains are just as involved as any muscle car the trucks are Just cooler to drive today !
I am one of those "Camaro guys" (I have a '69 big-block) and I bought it back in 1990. I picked it up in pretty damn good shape, with a small block, for about $4k. If I was going to try and buy it in that same condition today, it would be $20k. Right now I probably drive it under 2,000 miles a year, mostly to shows. It's not that I try to keep the miles off of it, but it's just hard to put to many miles on any one car when you own 4 of them.

I bought my current step-side about 2 months ago, as a project driver. I drove by it a few times and just bought it on an impulse buy (same as I did with the Camaro & most of my toys). I paid $3k as it sits right now and I know I could easily get $4k for it anyway. This is going to be a budget build and it won't be shiny, because I don't want to worry about parking it anywhere (as I do with my Camaro and GTO).

As far as investments go..... I never buy or build a car hoping for a return on my investment. I build them because I like them and assume that I'll always lose AT LEAST half of my money if I sell.

As Jay Leno always says: "If you build a car to make money on it, you're doing it wrong"