View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #522
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Remodeling (basement this time) has once again cut into the truck build, so not a lot has been happening on that front. I did manage to finish cleaning the clear powdercoat from around the rivet heads on the wheels. I tried several things such as tiny sanding drums, mini carbide burrs, Cratex abrasives and etc., but nothing worked as well as the Xacto knife. So I painstakingly scraped every one of the 80 rivet heads and then hit them with the glass beads to remove the shiny places. I bought some 2.5" flap wheels from CGW and they work great in the big holes. Despite all of this, I'm still considering painting the wheel centers the Toxic Orange Pearl color to match the body. I'd leave the outer rims the aluminum finish with a coat of the Glisten PC over all of it. There are still a lot of warts on the wheels despite all the prep work. Painting the centers would hide a lot of evil.

I also did a bit of work on the floor. Pie cut the ends where they angled down and welded in some tapered material. The ends now go out straight and match the ends of the firewall. The rest of the f/w is another matter. I've laid out the cut lines I'll need to make to bring it in line with the floor. I'll have to remove a center section of the f/w completely, reform the bottom lip to match the floor and then weld it back in. Removing it will also allow me access to pull down and straighten the section that kicks up as it gets close to the tunnel.

As they say down in TX ...all that stands between me and the finish line is fear and thin air.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote