View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #8599
jayman68
Fun Stuff

Re: What did you do to your truck today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by legotech7 View Post
Well the other day I noticed that my volt meter was reading a little under 12 volts,so I look under the hood and noticed that the bolt that holds the bracket under neath the alternator broke to where its bolted to the passenger side of the head on the engine..So I attempt to tap out the broken piece left in the head. I drilled a hole in to the broken bolt. ( That was no fun ) I tried to use an extractor to get the piece out, but I needed to drill the hole in further so I could tap in the extractor. I could get to go in as soon as I turned the the extractor it would just pop out. I tried to drill the hole another size bigger, but still I couldn't get it to come out. Anyone have any other Ideas as to how I can remedy this? It seemed so simple...but.... no.... Is there another type of bracket I can use that can mount else where? The alt. is mounted on the passenger side of the engine.

The top pic is where my head ache is.. And the bottom pic is the bracket that is on there now. Maybe some can tell me how to use a different mounting point... Thanks one and all.......
How deep did you drill? The threads probably go in about 3/4". It looks like you were off center to begin with, which only compounds the problem. (You probably already figured that out, sorry) You need to somehow get it back to center. Frednoah's suggestion would work great, just take it slow and easy. If the drilling goes too far and messes up the threads you can install a Heli-coil to restore the threads. If all else fails you could switch sides with the heads, then you would have a brand new hole to work with. (that's a lot of work)

68 C10(project)
88 Honda Accord(DD)
93 Chevy Astro EXT 2wd